Search This Blog

Friday 22 August 2014

2. The First Race



Here we are, it's 5 am in Natal Midlands the weather is glorious, the sun is just about to start rising and we're in the car on the way to the race.  For the record, first half Ironman distance tri, and I'm stoked.  I've been training hard (at least so I thought ) for this and by all my reckoning should be tough but I should do ok.

My mind is racing flashing back and forth to training going through my pre race checklist ticking off everything.  Did I train enough, did I bring my HRM, water bottles, and did I pack the wetsuit?   Where are we?  I'm sure the dam was on the other side when we came for the race numbers?  OH MY GOODNESS!  This can't be happening.  There is no way I could be lost. It’s just a 5 min drive from the lodge, why is this taking so long?  OK, calm down, get your bearings and start over.  Luckily I have a pretty good sense of direction so I manage to get myself back on track in no time, this time a lot more focused on the task at hand... getting there.

We arrive and the tension is just unimaginable excitement seething from not only the athletes but spectators as well. Other competitors asking, “ is this your first race? And you chose this one?”  Almost as if I was insane, but my mind is just in the zone.  Hear nothing but my heart beat in my ears, see nothing but the track. I think... 

Man, I got this.  Swim?  Takes me about 35 min to swim 2kms, has been for a while now.  The cycle? Piece of cake, did the 94.7 in 3 hours, I should breeze through the 90km as well, and as for the run?  This is gonna be easier than I thought.  I've been running 21km in under 2 hours. All in all I should be done in 5.5 to 6 hours.  Don't know what the big deal is?

This is all going through my mind when I hear Stace saying... “dammit the batteries to the camera are dead”. That of course doesn't phase me, except I hear the MC announce the decision on wetsuits, " I repeat the water is wonderful, wetsuits will not be allowed" OH SHIT! This, I had not prepared for.  For those of you that don't know, the wetsuit is meant to keep you warm in cold water however it has certain side effects. It is almost as if your mother herself is holding you up in the water, pulling you through the water. Sort of like aiming you and almost moving you forward magically without you using any effort. I'm not sure if this is all psychosomatic, just boosted confidence, or if the wetsuit actually does play some part but hearing wetsuits were not allowed sent me into a spiralled panic I just couldn't avoid.  

This was my first open water swim EVER.  What if I get tired? What do I do? How will I get through this?   My HRM starts screaming at me. Heart rate in range! How is this possible?  I haven't even started, this is when I realize it is actually telling me to get my shit together.  So breathing starts, focus, calm, everything is under control. Phew, that was close.  All under control now, got my groove back all happy and ready to go. 

Again I see nothing hear nothing just pure focus.

And we're off water really is wonderful, refreshing, clear and calming. I am a bit intimidated by the sheer volume of traffic in the swim, I calmly fall back and wait for it to thin out.   That's it, I'll come up from the rear and make up time with the cycle and run.   Game plan worked perfectly, swim finished really strong started the cycle without a glitch.  Then 300m into the cycle my chain starts slipping.   Ugh! I don't have time for this now, I'm pretty strong how can this effect me?  I mean I have a 7 speed bike, I'll just avoid this problem one.  The first 2 laps go off without a glitch.  I'm 80 km's into the cycle, it's 36 ͦ C and it's only been 3 hours since the start.  Man, I am tearing it up, made up with time and then some. When suddenly catastrophe! I hear the words ringing in my head, "good morning Mr Gamiet, this is your wakeup call!!!”.

And what a wakeup call it was. My left quad decides it will never let my leg bend at the knee again.  EVER.  It just stops working, no notice no warning.  My right quad, on seeing this decides umm not fair, if he's not doing anything why do I have to? So... it too says the hell with this, you will be a stick man. You will loose all use of your knees until we are treated better. From this point forward, you will move like a zombie, as if your joints are nonexistent!  

Now in all fairness, I did abuse the legs a bit in trying to make up time, and for the legs to cramp that bad could even be understandable.  However having both legs cramp while your feet are clipped onto the pedals is not exactly the most ideal of situations to be in.  In all honesty I would have to admit, it must have looked like a giraffe trying to get off a bicycle... so I'm willing to bet, anyone seeing this probably had to stop whatever they were doing until they could get their uncontrollable laughter to subside.   I was moving at 30km/h, trying to stand, sit and get off the bike at the same time. And no matter what I did the quads kept pulling me back saying... “Oh! where do you think you're going mister?”.

I manage to hobble my way through the cycle in another 2 hours, when time came for the run, I was exhausted.  My original thought of... Ag will probably be done in 6.5 
hours has drastically changed to; DAMMIT, JUST FINISH ON YOUR OWN STEAM!!!  

Every aching step I took made the cramps worse.  Every second dragged into years, my legs screamed.  Oh goodness is there no end to this madness?  The only thing driving me forward the reason I was doing it,  all that was in my brain ... finish for the kids ya damn wuss.   Stop being a little wimp and finish. Eventually with 5 minutes to spare I see the light at the end of the tunnel, almost hear angels again, the finish line.  Eventually the end is near.  The funniest thing happened right there in the last few hundred meters.   It was the strangest sense of accomplishment, gratification, pride; I couldn't believe how good I was feeling.


.
Even my legs stopped screaming just for the last few meters. When I crossed the line, it all just made sense... life, just made sense. No failure in the world could be as bad as the failure to try! I felt like I could, like I had, 
like I am... a triathlete.



No comments:

Post a Comment